Saturday, August 07, 2010

Dangers of a broken mercury filling

Dear Dr. Ellie,
 


I wrote to you and spoke with you around last August/September. Thank you once again for all your advise and your help getting started on your complete system. I have now been on your system for
9 months and am so very thrilled with the results. Everything is healing even better then I had hoped for, surface cracks and flaws in my teeth are all slowly healing, exposed receded areas that were so badly eroded are filling in and look so much healthier, I am simply amazed at how wonderfully
your system works! A million thank you's !!!


However, Ellie, I have just run into a big problem and really need your advise, as I trust your advise far above any I have ever received regarding dental health. My very back molar has a huge silver filling (filled 30 years ago ). The large filling has now cracked in half . There is no pain to the tooth, as the tooth has become so healthy and strong on your system, but half of the filling that has cracked is now loose and I can wiggle it up and down with my fingernail. I have read many of your "blogs"
about the dangers of silver mercury fillings while they are being removed, etc. My question now is it safe to leave this loose filling in my mouth for a couple of months till I can get to see a dentist, or now that the filling is cracked and loose, am I in danger of mercury poisoning if I don't do something about it right away? I have every confidence that your amazing program will keep the tooth healthy and strong under the loose filling, but I am concerned about the dangers of mercury leaking in a loose chunk of filling like this. I think that I might be able to wiggle the loose half right out of the tooth, leaving the other half of the filling (still tight ) intact would this be a satisfactory temporary solution or is this the wrong approach? I would be very grateful if you could advise me on this. I
will wait to hear from you before I do anything. Thank you again ...
 


Sincerely,
D









Hi D,

I'm so happy to hear the good news about your oral health!! It's good that you are keeping on track and I'm sorry that you have one bothersome tooth.

You certainly don't want to end up eating that loose piece of filling!

It would appear that you will need to have a new filling placed or possibly a crown over the tooth (which may be something to consider). It sounds as if you cannot get to a dentist right this moment. If you can, there is nothing to be gained by waiting. My fear is not so much mercury poisoning but that you end up eating it!

If you have to wait, I guess you need to be careful, even if you scoop the piece out. Avoid chewing on this side, because you could get some food stuck in this space. I really suggest getting to a dentist as soon as you can, take care of this problem, and then enjoy a worry-free dental life!

Curing dental disease is so exciting for patients! Getting healthy means that when this filling is done, it is going to last for life! Now you can invest in the best restorative choice for this tooth.

I'm sorry I don't have another suggestion. A temporary filling is a temporary solution, and I think you are best to have this properly fixed as soon as you can!

Again, it's great to hear from you. Please let me know the outcome, and I hope you are able to enjoy a wonderful summer,

Best wishes,

Ellie
26 Corporate Woods
Rochester, NY 14623

No comments:

Share