Friday, August 06, 2010

Question about stains after 15 months on program

Hi Dr. Ellie,

I have noticed huge improvements in my mouth health since starting your program in March 2009. Thank you! I have been patiently getting the stains cleaned off every 6 months by my hygienist. I follow your program exactly (clean toothbruth, kept in clean area, zellies mints in purse, at office,
home to use throughout the day, twice-daily use of the Closys, brushing w/ Crest, Listerine, and Act, etc.). I've been subscribing to your blog since I started on your program, and you advise people to be patient about the stains - that they come off with professional cleaning. However, now that I'm going for yet another cleaning in a few weeks, I'm concerned that I'm still getting the same amount of staining since I started, and it's been about 15 months that I've used your program. Is this unusual to have staining for so long? Do I have that much plaque that it's taking this long
to work it's way out? I welcome any advise you have.

Thank you.
M




Hi M,

Thanks for your message, it's great to have a fan like you!

There have been a few people over the years, who have come back to me with
similar concerns. My first question would be "do you think it's possible that you are getting
infected by another person?" I know nothing about your personal life but be aware of that kissing or
sharing food can transfer bacteria very easily. That would be my first suggestion to see if perhaps you are being reinfected.

Second idea I have is that perhaps your intestinal bacteria are a problem. Again I know nothing of your general health or if you have a great immune system or not. If for any reason you have digestive problems, allergies or intolerance, then I would be concerned that your intestinal health needs evaluation. For this I would suggest looking to probiotics perhaps to tip the balance.

The only other possibility that I can think of would be your water supply. Is there any likelihood that your water comes from a well , with sulfur products in the water supply? I put this idea last, because I don't think this is the reason, since without plaque you would not get this kind of staining.

I don't really have an answer for you but I would be interested to hear from others who have had staining.
is it OK if we post this on the blog?

In most cases, I think people with this staining have immediate family and relatives with poor oral health or they are young people interacting on a social level that may be a reason for this transfer of bacteria.

I would like to help so I would appreciate to keep in touch with you. If none of the above suggestions apply then I guess I would suggest the following: consider probiotics perhaps for while and may be use slightly
more xylitol in addition to the Zellies in your purse perhaps add a teaspoon to a bottle of water and drink this during the day. My logic for these suggestions is to tip the balance achieve a little more plaque control, and add a little more stimulus to develop natural protection.

I understand your frustration but your improvement in oral health is such a success, I will work with you to try to overcome this problem. Whatever you do don't get pushed into a new toothpaste (I know many who would recommend tartar control, or in the new 3-D stuff! Don't do it PLEASE!!)

Best wishes, I know you're on the right pathway,
Ellie

Ellie Phillips DDS
Dental Health for Everyone!
author, Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye
26, Corporate Woods, Rochester NY 14623

3 comments:

jvisit said...

I have a similar problem. I have used your system religiously for the last 2.5 years, and get cleanings every four months. I still get a huge amount of staining, and my cavities don't seem to have improved. I am baffled, since I get more than 10 gms of xylitol a day, and lately have been drinking only xylitol water (1 teaspoon xylitol in 16 oz water). The only thing that has improved is my gum health, although I still have some stubborn deep pockets. I have given up worrying about it, since anything I do seems pointless.

Dr. Ellie said...

Please check that you are doing the rinsing and brushing with the correct routine - in the correct order - using the correct products !

Also make sure you use a clean toothbrush - EVERY DAY - by cleaning it in some Listerine and rinsing out before it dries. Where/how do you store your toothbrush?

Ellie

Ellie Phillips DDS
www.CleanWhiteTeeth.com
www.Zellies.com
Dental Health for Everyone!
author, Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye
26, Corporate Woods, Rochester NY 14623
585-272-1270
585-272-9910
585-272-0705 (Fax)

Anonymous said...

I also have to continue with my quarterly cleaning visits despite stopping the progression of a cavity on your. I do find it is a necessity to brush 3x a day. I'm an avid follower of the program and continue to tweak it after reading the suggestions on your blog. It's hard not to use a stronger toothpaste but I know from past experience that it can cause another problem.

Share